Our professional career coaches are available to help you with questions about career planning and decision-making, including:
- choosing a major,
- exploring your career options and communities,
- gaining experience through experiential learning such as internships, and
- finding a job or planning for further education.
Current Students and Alumni
Career coaching services are available to UNC Charlotte students from admission, throughout their time in school and into alumni status. Students and recent alumni (0-5 years after graduation) can make an appointment by logging into their Hire-A-Niner account (hireaniner.uncc.edu). Once logged in, Choose appointments on the menu on the left side of the page. Alumni 5+ years beyond graduation should e-mail Jessie Simonik (email@example.com) to schedule an appointment or arrange a virtual session.
What to expect:
- Sessions are about you and what is important for you.
- Progress is made through active participation on your part. Come to the University Career Center ready to work and with your thoughts and ideas on your career goals!
- You are the expert on YOU. Your Career Coach is the expert on the career planning process. Our job is to help you plan effectively and to find the information necessary to make informed decisions about your career.
- Our Career Coaches are trained to provide you with new tactics, strategies, and ideas to help you build your career.
What NOT to expect:
- We are not able to provide you with an exact list of employers, graduate programs, or jobs that are a "fit" for you. Instead, we can provide you with the resources to help you develop your own strong list.
- We do not have a "test" that will tell you what to do with your career or can we tell you what path to take. We have strategies and resources for exploring the many options you have and the paths to take to reach your career goals.
- Your academic advisor is a trained professional that can assist you with your course selection and other parameters about changing majors.
- We do not write your resume for you. Instead, we provide you with a number of resources to build your marketing brand and Career Team members on staff to provide review and formatting suggestions.
Newly Admitted Students
Newly admitted students can utilize drop-in services as soon as 72 hours after they have accepted their admission. Drop in to review your resume or explore all of the services that the UNC Charlotte Career Center can offer you during your time here. Career Coaching services will become available once your Hire-A-Niner account is set up, which is usually a few weeks afer being admitted.
Prospective Transfer Students
Prospective students who are seeking to transfer into UNC Charlotte from another college/university or community college, are welcome to use the following services:
- One 30-minute coaching session: University Career Center coaches are available to provide you with an overview of the career decision-making process and to respond to questions about career development. Due to limited time, we recommend contacting your current college/university/community college career center, if applicable, for additional resources.
- Career assessments: Free assessments are available from ONET via the Interest Profiler and other career development providers to assist you in understanding your values, skills, interests, and personality as it relates to your decision making.
- Career and Employment Research Guide: This guide can support your career development with links to online resources for becoming a “career savvy” candidate. The guide can help you to explore industries for job opportunities, identify professional associations for networking, research companies for job interviews, and more! The guide was developed in partnership between the University Career Center and Atkins Library.