Current Students and Alumni
Our professional career advisors are available to help you with questions about career planning and decision-making, including choosing a major, exploring your career options, gaining experience through experiential learning such as internships, and finding a job or planning for further education. Each career advisor serves as a liaison to specific academic majors, which creates an advising experience in which the career advisor is thoroughly informed in the student's academic area, as well as industries and employment trends for that area's typical career paths.
Career advising services are available to UNC Charlotte students throughout their time in school and to alumni. Students and recent alumni (0-5 years after graduation) can make an appointment by logging into their Hire-A-Niner account (hireaniner.uncc.edu). Once logged in, "Meet with a Career Advisor" is a quicklink on the right side of the homepage.
What to expect:
- Sessions are about you and what is important for you. The Career Team is available to help you with areas ranging from career exploration and decision making to action planning for internships, job searching, and graduate school.
- Progress is made through active participation on your part. Come to the University Career Center ready to work and with your thoughts and ideas on your career goals!
- You are the expert on YOU. The Career Team is the expert on the career planning process. Our center is built around a number of resources to help you shape your career while at UNC Charlotte. Our job is to help you plan effectively and to find the information necessary to make informed decisions about your career.
- Our Career Team is trained to provide you with new tactics, strategies, and ideas to help you build your career.
What NOT to expect:
- We are not able to provide you with an exact list of employers, graduate programs, or jobs that are a "fit" for you. Instead, we can provide you with the resources to help you develop your own strong list.
- We do not have a "test" that will tell you what to do with your career or can we tell you what path to take. We have strategies and resources for exploring the many options you have and the paths to take to reach your career goals.
- Your academic advisor is a trained professional that can assist you with your course selection and other parameters about changing majors.
- We do not write your resume for you. Instead, we provide you with a number of resources to build your marketing brand and Career Team members on staff to provide review and formatting suggestions.
Prospective Transfer Students
Prospective students who are seeking to transfer into UNC Charlotte from another college/university or community college, are welcome to use the following services:
- One 30-minute coaching session: University Career Center advisors are available to provide you with an overview of the career decision-making process and to respond to questions about career development. Due to limited time, we recommend contacting your current college/university/community college career center, if applicable, for additional resources.
- Career assessments: Free assessments are available from CFNC and other career development providers to assist you in understanding your values, skills, interests, and personality as it relates to your decision making. Due to the cost involved with the Strong, MBTI, and StrengthsFinder assessments we are unable to provide those to individuals not enrolled at UNC Charlotte.
- Career and Employment Research Guide: This guide can support your career development with links to online resources for becoming a “career savvy” candidate. The guide can help you to explore industries for job opportunities, identify professional associations for networking, research companies for job interviews, and more! The guide was developed in partnership between the University Career Center and Atkins Library.