Peer Career Assistants (PCA’s) are students...
- FROM ANY MAJOR who are trained to assist with outreach activities and services in the University Career Center (UCC)
- PAID (undergraduates $10/hour; graduates $12/hour) and 12 hours per week (student temp wage)
- Occasional evening and weekend hours (General Outreach PCA only)
- Scheduled weekly office hours; Monday through Friday, 8am-5pm.
A General Outreach PCA will have the responsibility of promoting services of the UCC through different venues and activities around campus including presenting to student organizations, critiquing student resumes during drop-in hours, assisting with job fairs, passing out fliers to promote fairs and workshops within distinct high traffic areas around campus, and working on specific projects associated with career-related activities. Presentations with the variety of organizations will/could be performed outside of the normal work hours from 8am-5pm due to the nature of when student meetings are normally held (at night).
A Prospect PCA will assist the Assistant Director for Freshman Career Planning in a number of areas with an emphasis on conducting classroom presentations or workshops, tracking student evaluations for those presentations and assisting with some data entry. The Prospect PCA will assist in teaching a UCOL 1200 course, conduct career-related presentations to students in the classroom and in the University Career Center and assist in creating and updating a freshman newsletter. This person will also be trained to assist during drop-in hours providing resume critiques to undergraduate students as well as other special projects under the direction of the Assistant Director.
- Minimum GPA of 3.0 for Undergraduate students; minimum GPA of 3.5 for Graduate students
- Ability to make, with confidence, presentations to groups of 10+ students with professional presentation materials and resources, utilizing PowerPoint (training on content is provided)
- Interest in developing knowledge and skills in resume writing techniques
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written)
- Ability to work effectively without supervision
- Interest in career-related issues and activities
General Outreach PCA:
- Resume Critiques: PCAs will meet with students during scheduled drop-in hours and resume critique sessions to provide feedback on resumes (training is provided).
- Outreach Activities: interact with leaders from residence halls, student organizations, student societies, and any groups to present information on UCC services. Work with student leaders and representatives to identify other kinds of programs and workshops consistent with services offered through the UCC. Perform general outreach activities throughout the campus, distributing promotional flyers, and manning campus outreach tables.
- Job Fairs: assist the Events Team with preparation for, and participation in, UCC job fairs, including the following: Assistance with the creation and posting of job fair marketing materials on campus, follow up with employers regarding general questions, setup and coverage on the day of job fairs.
- Resume Critiques: PCAs will meet with students during scheduled drop-in hours and resume critique sessions to provide feedback on resumes (training is provided; Approx 4-7 hours/week).
- Presentations: Assist with conducting career related presentations to classes across campus or in the Career Center and teaching UCOL 1200 course (Approx. 3-5 hours a week).
- Administration/Data Entry: Assist with data entry for Freshman Seminar and Prospect for Success student evaluations, assist with data organization and entry for Freshman Seminar and Prospect for Success faculty feedback forms, develop/compile handouts and paperwork for Freshman Seminars and Prospect for Success student evaluations (Approx. 1-1.5 hours/week).
Compensation for Peer Career Assistants will be on an hourly basis (maximum of 12 hours/week). Undergraduates will be compensated at a rate of $10/hour, Graduate Students will be compensated at a rate of $12/hour. PCAs will be responsible for completing timecards each month.
When to apply
Applications for Fall 2014 - Spring 2015 are currently being accepted. Review of applications will begin April 11, 2014 and continue until all positions are filled.
2 General Outreach PCA positions available (full year preferred)
1 Prospect PCA position available (full year preferred)
Click HERE to apply
Contact Jessica Cammarano, Assistant Director at J.Cammarano@uncc.edu