What is a Co-op?

  • Paid career-related educational work opportunity to help undergraduate students gain experience in a professional setting before graduating.
  • Available to students in the College of Computing and Informatics, William States Lee College of Engineering, College of Liberal Arts & Sciences, and Belk College of Business.
  • Participating students may work 3 alternating full-time semesters of work with full-time semesters of school, 2 back-to-back full-time semesters of work, or 3 parallel part-time semesters of work with part-time semesters of school:
    • College of Engineering students must commit to 3 co-op work rotations. Rotations can be alternating or back-to-back (spring-summer or summer-fall). Example: [Summer 2015, Fall 2015, Summer 2016] or [Summer 2015, Spring 2016, Summer 2017], etc.
    • Engineering students may earn 1 complete year towards their professional license after completing three semesters of co-op and an accompanying co-op seminar.
    • Computing and Informatics students need only 2 alternating semesters. Back-to-back schedules are not allowed for Computing and Informatics students.
    • Back-to-back schedules must not include fall and spring in a given semester (spring-summer or summer-fall only).
  • Students are enrolled in a zero-credit transcript notation course during your work rotation in order to maintain your full-time student status.
  • There is a $60 registration fee for transcript notation that is applied to your student account each work rotation (and co-op seminar rotation via your academic department).

Co-op Faculty Advisors





African American Studies

Dr. Debra Smith

202C Macy


All Belk College of Business Majors

Academic Advisor

368 Friday



Dr. Janet Levy

225 Barnard



Mr. Chris Jarrett

101 Storrs


Art & Art History

Mr. Eldred Hudson

150 Rowe


Athletic Training

Mr. Brent Wood

027 Belk Gym



Ms. Meredith Norris

282C Woodward



Dr. Kathy Asala

220 Burson


Civil Engineering

Dr. Bill Saunders

3248 EPIC


Communication Studies

Ms. Staci Kuntzman

5015 Colvard


Computer Science

Dr. Rick Lejk

443F Woodward


Construction Management & All Engineering Technology Majors

Dr. Anthony Brizendine

274B Smith


Criminal Justice

Dr. Jennifer Hartman

5073 Colvard



Ms. Pam Sofras

366 Robinson


Electrical & Computer Engineering

Dept. Undergraduate Coordinator



Systems Engineering & Engineering Management

Yesim Sireli

214 Cameron



Dr. Deborah Bosley

220 Fretwell


Exercise Science

Ms. Tracy Bonoffski

217B Belk Gym


Foreign Languages

Dr. Robert Reimer

416 COED


Geography/Earth Sciences

Ms. Jamie Strickland

468 McEniry



Dr. Dena Shenk

222 Barnard


Health Administration

Dr. Sarah Laditka




Dr. Oscar Lansen

237 Garinger


International Studies

Dr. Harry Chernotsky

103 Macy


Latin American Studies

Dr. Jerry Davila

132 Garinger



Dr. Kim Harris

376D Fretwell


Mechanical Engineering

Dr. Kevin Lawton

160 Duke



Dr. Royce Lumpkin

344 Robinson


Nursing (Graduate)

Dr. Gwen Foss

420 CHHS


Nursing (Undergraduate)

Dr. Lienne Edwards

442 CHHS



Dr. Daniel Boisvert

112A Winningham


Philosophy - Ethics

Dr. Dick Toenjes

114B Winningham



Dr. Yildirim Aktas

306 Grigg


Political Science

Mr. Robert Kravchuk

440A Fretwell



Dr. Lori Van Wallendael

4020 Colvard


Psychology I/O

Dr. Anita Blanchard

4030 Colvard


Public Administration

Dr. James W. Douglas

440B Fretwell


Public Health (Graduate)

Dr. Michael Thompson



Public Health (Undergraduate)

Ms. Camina Davis



Religious Studies

Dr. James Tabor

210 Macy


Respiratory Therapy

Dr. Joe Coyle

245 Belk Gym


Social Work

Ms. Susan Marchetti



Social Work

Ms. Susan Marchetti



Software & Information Systems

Mr. Bruce Long

341E Woodward



Ms. Kelly Ryan

380 Robinson


Financial aid frequently asked questions

Why was I able to receive financial aid in the past when I enrolled in co-op programs before?

The Office of Financial Aid at UNC Charlotte is always reviewing federal regulations to ensure compliance with federal guidelines. After reviewing the university’s co-op program, it has been determined that the co-op course is NOT REQUIRED for any program of study at UNC Charlotte. There are two conditions for co-op student(s) to be eligible for Title IV financial aid (1) the school has to consider co-op students to be the equivalent to full-time status and (2) the co-op course has to be required for their program of study. Since co-op is not required at UNC Charlotte, any student enrolled in a co-op course only would NOT be eligible for financial aid that given term.

Will a student be eligible for financial aid if they register for other courses along with their co-op course during the same term?

Students may be eligible for financial aid and should check with the Office of Financial Aid to determine eligibility.

Will students have to begin repayment of their student loans in their co-op term since there’s zero credit for the co-op program?

Co-op students are considered full-time status during the term(s) of the co-op course. Student will remain in an in-school deferment status for loan repayment purposes and will not have to begin repayment during their co-op term.

Would co-op students be eligible for an alternative loan for the co-op term?

Yes. Co-op student are eligible for an alternative loan for the co-op term as long as they meet the lender requirements for the loan. The Financial Aid Cost of Attendance budget for the term would reflect full-time amounts however the tuition and fee component would be adjusted to $60 for the co-op fee.

Would co-op students be eligible for any type of scholarships?

Possibly. If the student meets the requirements of the scholarship then they would be able to receive it for the co-op term.

Can co-op students receive the health insurance during the co-op term(s)?

Co-op students are not charged the health insurance premium. Students would need to contact the Student Health Center to inquire if co-op students could purchase the health insurance on their own.

When will this new policy begin for co-op students?

Students who are only taking a zero credit co-op course for the Fall 2015 term and beyond will not receive financial aid.

What can a student do if they need assistance for living expenses, transportation expenses, etc.?

Co-op students can apply for an alternative loan if they meet the lender’s requirements. Students will need to check with their lender of choice to see if they qualify.

Can a co-op student apply for a short term loan?

Yes, Co-op students can apply for a short term loan from the Office of Financial Aid, as long as they meet all of the qualifications. Students may check with the Office of Financial Aid for more information.

Financial aid policy


Many of our students enroll in a co-op course over their academic career. Cooperative Education (co-op) is a type of internship program that enables students to receive career training with pay as they work with professionals in their major fields of study (available for College of Computing and Informatics, Williams States Lee College of Engineering, College of Liberal Arts & Science, and Belk College of Business). This work experience typically enhances the student’s academic training and is also documented on their college transcript. Co-op students are enrolled in a zero credit transcript notation course for the semester in which they work in order to maintain their full-time status with the university. They are also charged a $60 registration fee and no tuition for the co-op course.

According to federal guidelines, as long as a school determines the co-op program is equal to full-time status and the student is required to take the co-op as part of their program, then the school is allowed to pay federal financial aid to these students. UNC Charlotte does not require students to complete a co-op program as part of their degree requirements; therefore, students are not eligible for financial aid in the term(s) where co-op is the only course taken.

Verifying Your Enrollment for Purposes of Financial Aid or Health Care

UNC Charlotte recognizes your enrollment in a zero-credit transcript notation course, for the semester in which you work, maintains your full-time status with the university. While out on your Co-op, you may still receive automatic notices from financial aid or health care insurers which question your full-time status. If you receive such notices (i.e. Financial Aid's referral to Exit Counseling), please visit the Office of the Registrar's website to obtain enrollment verification forms at no charge via the National Student Clearinghouse. The UCC encourages all Cooperative Education students, even prior to the start of your assignment, to contact any relevant financial aid or health care insurer to notify these institutions of your intention and be prepared as to how your full-time status will be handled.

Information needed to enroll in the program

  • Co-op approval form signed by your co-op faculty advisor listed on the form below (complete before your first co-op work rotation only unless your rotations change).
  • Detailed job description showing an overview of your daily activities and responsibilities as well as the skills you will learning and using throughout your co-op.
  • Offer letter
  • Supervisor's contact information
  • Pay

Co-op Approval Form 

Processing time

  • The University Career Center requires 5 business days to review your request to enroll in the Co-op Program from the date you accurately complete your submission in Hire-A-Niner.
  • A member of our team will be in touch within 5 business days as soon as your submission has been reviewed.
  • Failure to accurately and thoroughly complete your request in Hire-A-Niner will result in processing time delays.

Steps to enroll in the program

  1. From Hire-A-Niner, click "Enroll in the Undergraduate Co-op Program" under "Experiential Learning" on the right-hand side of the homepage
  2. Click "Add New Experience"
  3. Complete all required fields and click "Submit"

Launch Hire a Niner 

A member of our team will be in touch within 5 business days as soon as your submission has been reviewed.

Student Eligibility

  • Program is open to undergraduate students only.
  • Must be enrolled as a full-time student (minimum of 12 credit hours) during the fall or spring semester prior to the semester you start your co-op.
  • Must have completed 30 earned credit hours at UNC Charlotte before you begin working (12 as a transfer student).
  • Must have a minimum overall GPA of 2.5.
  • Must be in good standing with the University with no financial holds over $99.

Transcript notation course enrollment

  • Undergraduate students will be registered for one of the following courses based on your major in order to set your student status to full-time while you work.
  • These courses are zero-credit transcript notation courses only. No credit hours will be awarded.
  • During the summer term, these courses are full 10 week courses, so they are not broken up into summer I and summer II.
  • A $60 co-op fee will be applied to your student account each semester you are enrolled in co-op.
  • Some majors are required enroll in a 1 credit hour co-op seminar during the semester following each work rotation. See your co-op faculty advisor below for more details.





ACCT 3500

ECON 3500

FINN 3500

INFO 3500

MBAD 6500

MGMT 3500

MKTG 3500

OPER 3500

ARSC 3500

BIOL 3500

CHEM 3500

ESCI 3500

GEOG 3500

MATH 3551

PHYS 3590

ITCS 3590

ITIS 3590

EDUC 3500