Job shadowing is an excellent way for students to follow, or “shadow,” a professional for a day or longer to get a close, first-hand look at what a day in the life of a particular position or career entails. This will help you determine whether or not a position or career path is a good fit for you.
What to do
- Before you arrive for your job shadow, research the organization and industry to prepare yourself for the day.
- Observe a professional in action to learn about their day-to-day responsibilities.
- Ask questions about their role, the organization, and the industry.
- Tour the facilities and meet a variety of professionals within the organization.
- Be sure to follow up the shadowing experience with a personal thank you email or note.
Login to Hire-A-Niner and schedule an appointment with your career advisor to learn more and get started.